Category: Community

Reality Check for Indie Authors

Reality Check for Indie Authors

I n all honesty I suspect that Scribd found the path of least resistance in their romance/erotica decision. (Witness the petitions to Jeff Bezos/Amazon asking him to change the review policy.) The truth of the matter is likely to be a more harsh reality – a lot of romance/erotica readers were downloading books, finding them to be dreck and so they didn’t finish them, they just deleted them off their e-readers and went onto the next....

Our groups and subgroups, and the award winning project!

EXTRA, EXTRA! The Indie Author Group has won a Preditors and Editors award! We were voted BEST DISCUSSION FORUM, 2014! (we’ve since gone on to win, or place in the top three every year). And while we’re here – would you like to join some new writer’s groups? Our main writers groups are our closed one – Indie Author Group Our open group is smaller, but just as friendly  – Indie Author Writing Group On...

So you’re a writer. Then be one.

Dear reading writer, A while ago I had a very interesting and eye-opening talk with someone. Before I go into this, let me ask you a question. How many of you look at yourself as a real author/writer? With this I mean a writer like Stephen King, Agatha Christie, George R.R. Martin, Jackie Collins and others in that range of fame? If you do then you can stop reading here, there’s nothing new for you then....

Facebook Traffic – Boost vs Giveaways

Many of you, I have seen, post questions regarding Facebook Boosts/Ads, how to use them properly, are they worth it, etc. I did an experiment using two different forms. Number one was paying $10 to Facebook Ads, number two was offering two $5 Amazon gift cards to fans (again, only $10). Here is what I came up with: Experiment One (Using a Facebook Boost) On 5/13 I paid the $10 to reach potentially 850 to...

The Focus of a Writer

The Focus of a Writer

Many of my life successes I attribute to my ability to focus.  I’ve written before (http://theotherstephenkingonwriting.blogspot.com/2012/08/two-lessons-about-goal-setting.html) about the focus on a physical fitness goal that earned me admission to West Point, for example.  Focus earned me graduation from there with dual majors, and focus later helped me finish all the way to a PhD.  Focus in my day job has carried me through a great many hurdles that seemed impossible at first. As an indie...

Pinterest – A picture is worth a thousand words

A picture is worth a thousand words, especially with Pinterest. This is where having a great cover makes a tremendous difference.  An intriguing cover will draw the interest of Pinterest viewers As with all social media, though, it is social media. It’s not just about promoting your books, but about getting to know you, the author, so you need to post more than just your covers. Post about you. What inspires you as a person or what inspired your...

Indie author group roundup, week ending 26th January

Welcome to this weeks’ ‘weekly round up’. Featured moderator of the week is Valerie – please pop on over to her profile and say hiya, ask a question, let her know about your favorite book of hers. She loves to talk to other writers and readers! It’s been a busy week here at IAG HQ, with blog updates and new features for writers that blog for us regularly.  Now your profile can include your Amazon...

Weekly roundup, week ending 19th January

Last week’s roundup Every week, one of the IAG moderators will round up what’s gone on, on the group and in the Indie community as a broader view.  If you’ve been busy writing, editing, or promoting, let us catch you up and find conversations and blog posts that should interest you and dive into the information you’re really keen to see. On the group Nikki Broadwell started a conversation about Createspace versus LSI last month, which concluded...

Indie Author Group Twitter list

Indie Author Group Twitter list

As many of you are probably aware, we’ve got an active and bustling twitter list, that we keep up to date and retweet indie authors worth reading, along with posts from our members.  Ordinarily, we’d keep the list in the Facebook group, but we thought we’d try something else. Would you like to be listed on our Indie author list?  Follow the instructions below. 1.  Log into twitter. 2.  Follow http://twitter.com/IAGtweets, http://twitter.com/Kaiberie and http://twitter.com/ValerieDouglasA ....

The four E’s of Indie publishing

There are four e’s to indie publishing – four elements that just can’t be skimped on, or you’ll destroy yourself.  That destruction will come from poor reviews, and your image, once damaged, is really difficult to repair.  Once you’re known as a writer that doesn’t care about his/her product, though you’ll still gain readers, there will eventually be a barrier to your evolution as a writer, or even your ability to reach the next level....